This is an easy and tasty stew that makes a lot. I’ll list below the original recipe as I found it on www.southernplate.com. The changes I made were just to double the recipe, use prepared low-sodium stock rather than water and bouillon, and to substitute turnips and swedes (rutabaga) for the potatoes to keep it lower carb. I also left out the salt to reduce the sodium, and because I couldn’t find a low-sodium version of the V8.
This recipe is easy to change up to suit your particular diet plan. It will suit paleo / primal diets if you eat potatoes, swedes or turnips. Otherwise omit those and use other veggies of your choice. The spicy V8 does not make it hot at all, it just adds flavour.
• 1-2 lbs (500g-1kg) ground beef, cooked and drained
• 2 Carrots, diced
• 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
• 5-6 potatoes, Swedes or Turnips, peeled and diced
• 2-3 Cups frozen green beans
• 29 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes (822g)
• 2 Cans Spicy Hot V-8 juice (709 ml)
• 2 C water*
• 4 Beef Bouillon Cubes*
• 1 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
The original recipe assumed you had already cooked your ground beef ahead of time. I chose to brown mine with the onions first, but you could brown it on its own and cook the onions with the other veggies if you prefer.
Place all the chopped veggies and everything but the ground beef in a pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmering. Cover and cook for an hour until vegetables are tender (I found that only took about 35 minutes including the time to come to a boil). Add ground beef, cook for another thirty minutes.
This can be assembled in the morning and put in your slow cooker all day on low. If doing it this way, just go ahead and add the ground beef in at the start. Adding it later just keeps it a little firmer.
* Can substitute 2c beef broth for the water and stock cubes. Visit and Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Annas-Kitchen-1686376324950749/